Clay Shirky gives an excellent talk re-phrasing the conundrum of information overload. He explains that information overload has existed for centuries (at least since the printing press), so it is not a problem, it is a fact, or a condition that we have naturally immersed ourselves. The problem however is not an increase in information, but that our filters (social and institutional, not just technological) are no longer working.
Submitted by jon on October 8, 2008 - 2:28pm
- "The key to happiness is low expectations"
- mind control!
- Put your touch screens away, it's time to get spatial
- money money money
- stepping out of the mud
- Information Overload is not the problem
- Re-gaming thought
- Data viz humor
- 10 interfaces of the future?
- Ravin Balakrishnan - a very productive interface developer
art choice company computation dancefloor design euler gadget google happiness haptics HCI humor information information age infovis interface knowledge light links money music new media Obama olafur eliasson research resources science search engines social networks spam spatial technology touchscreen Western thought wikipedia